Access, organize and share all your files from any device, anywhere
How much space do I have on my Google Drive?
Compared to Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive, your Google Drive limit is much larger... 30G.
What is Team Drive?
Team Drive is a feature of Google Drive (March 2017) that overcomes two problems users often run into when using Google Drive collaboration in the traditional way:
- When people who have shared Google Drive content leave the organization, their files disappear unless they or the SIL Google Admin team have transferred ownership of that content to someone else
- When people move content to other folders or even delete content (move files to the trash, those files are rearranged for everyone.
Team Drive provides a place to put files owned by the team (not the individual), so that when a person leaves, any files they've placed on a Team Drive remain. It also allows the Team Drive administrators to control who may move or delete files, so files remain in expected locations.
You will see an area labeled Team Drives in your Google Drive (online only). You can create more than one Team Drive.
What are Google's Team Drives best practices?
Google provides recommended best practices in their G Suite Learning Center, including very good discussions of moving files/folders and setting permissions.
- When to use Team Drives
- Move files to a Team Drive
- Manage Team Drive files
- Share Team Drive files
Our own comments and best practices:
- Use Team Drives to share material intended for public view with others. Keep personal files and folders that others shouldn't see in My Drive.
- For improved collaboration, create a Team Drive for each project and assign the highest access level to all team members.
- For users who need to move large amounts of their content from their My Drive to Team Drives, contact SIL Google Admin for help.
- Members of a Team Drive have access to everything in that Team Drive. Access to sub-folders cannot be restricted.
- You can only move files to a Team Drive that you own. You must ask the owner of files they own to move them to the Team Drive (if they are a member of that Team Drive).
- Individual files within a Team Drive can be shared directly with non-Team Drive members. When this happens, the file will appear in their "Shared with me". They will not be able to choose "Add to My Drive" or add that file to another Team Drive.
What are the limits for Team Drives?
- A Team Drive can contain a maximum of 400,000 files and folders.
- You can upload up to 750 gigabytes of files a day per Google Drive account. The same quotas/limits apply to Team Drive uploads.
- A single Team Drive can nest up to 20 subfolders, but Google doesn’t recommended creating Team Drives with a folder structure that complex.
Visit Google's Help Center Article on Team Drive limits for the entire details
For known issues with Team Drives, visit here.
What is Drive File Stream?
Launched to early adopters in March, Drive File Stream is a new desktop application that allows you quickly access all of your Google Drive files on demand, directly from your computer, meaning you use almost none of your hard drive space and spend less time waiting for files to sync and minimize the amount of company data stored on your hard drives if the device is stolen.
You can also make Drive files available for offline access. These cached files sync back to the cloud when you're online, so the latest version is available on all your devices.
- Stream files on demand
- Access files in My Drive
- Access files in Team Drives
- If you have more than one account, easily switch and use a different account
- Sync only selected folders in My Drive
- Sync only individual files in My Drive
- Use native applications like MS Word and Photoshop
Click here to download Drive File Stream. The download link for Drive File Stream should also appear in the Drive interface.
System requirements are Windows 7 and up and Mac 10.11 and up.
Be aware that Google Drive for Mac/PC was officially deprecated and is longer be supported (March 12, 2018.)
Installing Drive File Stream
If, however unlikely, the discontinued Drive for PC/Mac is installed, follow this process.
- The Gear icon for Google Drive shows “Download Drive File Stream” which links to Google's download page.
- Open Drive File Stream menu by clicking Icon on System tray (right of taskbar in Windows)
- Google Drive File Stream appears as a separate drive (e.g. G:) in Windows Explorer
- To sync folders, right-click on folder name (My Drive or a Team Drive), then choose Drive File Stream and Available offline
What is Backup and Sync?
Backup and Sync, like Drive File Stream, is a program that is installed on a computer but, in addition to syncing files to your Google Drive, provides some backup capability. In some ways it is a replacement for the (now retired) Google Drive for Mac/PC program and has features similar to Drive File Stream.
SIL Google Admin prefers users use Drive File Stream. We do not use Backup and Sync and can only point users to Google's documentation if you were to have questions or problems with this.